Google

Wednesday, March 22

Iconz February 2006 Liner Notes


(1) "Carrot Top" - Norm MacDonald: This observation from the Conan O'Brien show is one of the funniest ad-libbed moments in late night history. I've listened to this at least 1000 times and it never gets old.

(2) "Mr. E's Beautiful Blues" - Eels: If I could, I'd use an Eels song on every compilation ever created. This song w/ it's "Goddamn Right, It's a Beautiful Day" chorus helps me see the world through rose colored glasses even with 'W' fucking everything up.

3) "Nimrod's Son" - The Pixies: Nothing like a song about the musings of "keeping it in the family". The Pixies should have been bigger than Nirvana. I've seen them three times. Twice, back in the day and recently on their reunion tour. They never disappoint.

(4) "Things" - Paul Westerberg: I just dug out this CD from the Replacements former front man. I thought the disc blew when I bought it but I've got past the bullshit horn section to see a solid effort here.

(5) "Finding Out True Love Is Blind" - Louis XIV: This is likely a one-hit wonder but the song is catchy as hell. My wife heard this all over the radio - I didn't so it's new to me.

(6) "I Got A Message For You" - Robyn Hitchcock: This song should have been in the movie '9 1/2 Weeks'. I've seen Hitchcock at least 10 times now. Each show is as interesting and diverse as his albums. Everyone should go out now and buy all his records.

(7) "Vampire Girl" - Jonathan Richman: We've all been drawn to the dark side every now and then. Once you get there, it's not all that bad as this song details. Jonathan is another artist who everyone needs to see live. It leads to perma-grin.

(8) "Hotel Yorba" - The White Stripes: This song makes me want to chill on the porch of some cabin (ideally not in 'Deliverance') with a beverage of my choice and try in vain to make music. The Stripes have been overplayed lately but are still original.

(9) "Illegal Smile" - John Prine: John's ode to the herb. Nothing better than folk music.

(10) "Voodoo Lady" - Ween: Ween may be the greatest band of all time as is evident on this track. I need to own all Ween albums.

(11) "Thursday" - Morphine: Saxophone, drums and two-string bass. Jazzy stories of love and deception. Morphine were great until Sandman's untimely passing on-stage at the age of 48.

(12) "Fake Tales of San Francisco" - Artic Monkeys: These new primates are being touted as the next great thing. They were good on SNL a few weeks back. This track is my daughter's favorite on this disc.

(13) "The Whole Shebang" - Grant Lee Phillips: This sounds like Ziggy-era Bowie. I first GLP's solo work when he collaborated w/ Hitchcock on the Grant Lee HItchcock tour. Good stuff.

(14) "The Secret Life of Morgan Davis" - Ben Folds: This is one of Ben's 4.6 songs he had to write to get out of a publishing deal. He actually played all 4.6 songs when Bec and I saw him at the now defunct Cajun House in Scottsdale.

(15) "When the Beatles Hit America" - John Wesley Harding: This is a great talkin' blues song. Unfortunately, this is the shitty second version Wes recorded. The one fuckin' minor lull (for me) on this compilation.

(16) "When the Girls Get Here" - Young Fresh Fellows: I wish I had more recordings from YFF. My goal in 2006 is to load my collection w/ many Young Fresh Fellows albums.

(17) "Bicycle Kid" - The Jazz Butcher: I first found the butcher from David J. (Love and Rockets) participation in this band. I have three albums which is not nearly enough.

(18) "Makin' Like a Rug" - Eleventh Dream Day: Great Chicago band. Makin' Like a Rug = Lying (I think). I saw them at Lounge Axe in the 90's - outstanding show.

(19) "What a Waster" - The Libertines: This could be the theme song for Peter Doherty. The Libertines had two pretty good albums. Too bad drugs took over.

(20) "Poor Old Tom" - Peter Case: Former Plimsouls singer, Peter Case's folkier side. I have a few of his solo efforts - all of which are pretty good.

(21) "Wasted Time" - Kings of Leon: Southern rock brewed up perfectly in some garage. The Kings should rule for a long time.

(22) "Girl Anachronism" - Dresden Dolls: This was the first song I heard from the Dolls. Far more interesting and raw than "Coin Operated Boy".

(23) "Wasted" - Camper Van Beethoven: I think this is an old punk cover done up right - Camper style. Violin should be required in 50% of all songs.

(24) "Anal Rape" - Norm MacDonald: What scares me most about prison from a Weekend Update on SNL.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Big Toe said...

Hey the pixies are underrated. I have to admit this post is way too long. After about 12 titles I forgot what I was reading. But ending with Anal Rape is always a nice touch.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home