Google

Tuesday, September 26

Bitches and Ho's Review

"Bitches and Ho's" assembled by High Life

1) Eleanor Rigby - Aretha Franklin: Very cool rendition of this Beatles classic. Every time I hear Urethra sing, I think of the Blues Brothers movie. Damn! Now, I have to rent it. Thanks High Life.

2) Tide is High - Blondie: I forgot I actually like Blondie music. This song had to have been an aberration during the midst of the Punk rock scene where Blondie was spawned. Can you believe this band was a mainstay at CBGB's?

3) Sweetest Sin - Jessica Simpson: Bubble gum pop. Not my thing. She is easy on the eyes, though....and not a bad Daisy Duke in her Daisy Dukes. Didn't Johnny Knoxville tap that?

4) Shadowboxer - Fiona Apple: Cool voice. Even cooler after her meltdown on stage a few years ago. In the team photo for great piano chicks, although Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls kicks her ass.

5) Goodnight & Go - Imogen Heap: Never heard of her/this group before. Not bad, though. Sounds like a British group. Reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it.

6) Ladyfingers - Luscious Jackson: I saw Luscious Jackson open up for R.E.M. on their Monster Tour. They were pretty good. They rocked a lot harder than one would expect.

7) My Favorite Mistake - Sheryl Crow: Did she marry Lance Armstrong? I can never remember. I saw her back in Chicago/Rosemont right before I moved to Arizona. I don't remember much of the show.

8) All That I Can Say - Mary J. Blige: I can honestly say that up until now I had never heard a Mary J. Blige song. I thought she was more hip-hop than soul. As a stand alone song, I wouldn't listen - but in the context of this compilation, it works.

9) I Say a Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin: Wow, two Urethra songs. Not my favorite but not bad. Wasn't this song played in one of those Julia Robert's chick flix I was forced to see during my dating days? The real cool thing about Urethra songs is they aren't too long. Nobody wants to hear Urethra cover American Pie for 45 minutes.

10) You're Not Alone - Olive: Reminds me of an outtake from the Trainspotting soundtrack. I'm not saying this make one want to do Heroin....but it could easily fit with the other tracks from that GREAT movie!!!

11) Hide & Seek - Imogen Heap: Is she the daughter of Uriah Heap? Two selections on one compilation? I guess Imogen is in Urethra's category according to High Life. I like the weird-ass sound of this song. It sounds warped - yet kind of smooth.

12) In the Waiting Line - Zero 7: Damn! Another band I've never heard of. I guess I'm out of touch with chick singers. I'm getting kind of a ,pre-Paul Simon. Edie Brickell vibe here.

13) Midnight - Yaz: I always thought the lead singer of Yaz was some gay dude from England. Turns out it was a lady. Who would have thunk it that voice was from Allison Moyet. I'm not much into the over-synthesized songs but this is still a cool flashback.

14) Stranger Than Pride - Sade: Jazzy! Why the can't she phonetically spell her name? Sade is not pronounced S-H-A-R-D-A-Y. Is that Richard Marx singing backup? He rules the David Hasselhoff-esque circles of pop music fans.

15) Talk of the Town - The Pretenders: I always thought Chrissie Hynde looked like a dude in drag. Here's another band, like Blondie that I like more than I'd ever admit. Good song - better choice than Brass in Pocket.

16) Home - Sheryl Crow: I don't think I've ever heard this song. Apparently she's singing about home, or going home or finding a home. Something like that!

All in all, this is a very solid effort from the first lady to every create a POLYESTER ICONZ compilation. We'll have to see what the other ladies bring to the table when their time of the month...I mean month gets here. If anyone has comments to add about this compilation, please send an email to guntarski.iconz@blogger.com and they will be posted to the blog.

Enjoy

Guntarski
http://polyestericonz.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What in the sam hill do you have against aretha franklin?? LOL

Yes, some artists I doubled up on, but don't forget, I lost all my music and had to re-load it to my hard drive!

And yes, say a little prayer was in a stupid julia roberts movie, but I hate her and I resent her for putting that song in her insipid movie. I liked it way before the stupid movie, and it's more of a tribute to burt bacharach than to aretha, but the theme was all females

AND Brass in pocket is soooo obvious, I would never have used that. So THERE! I wasn't prepared for the critique, LOL

-High Life

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home